Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Oral, Punctuations and Other Matters

Oral
In class, we saw how a simple picture could be elaborated on. Any logical inference will be accepted, so do not be afraid of saying too much.

The pupils who sat for the oral exam today performed acceptably, but I feel there is room for improvement, given your usual eloquence and intelligence.

Points to note:
- Two pupils forgot to greet me.
- Do make extra effort to pronounce all the words carefully and do not be afraid of reading expressively.
- The picture discussion was quite well-done, but there was still more description than interpretation and personal opinions. Some of you used appropriate words such as "encasement", "fragments", "brute force" etc. That was commendable.
- Eye contact is important during the conversation segment. Please try to speak animatedly too.
- Thank the teacher after the exam.

Punctuations
We also attended a course on punctuations conducted by the Master Yoda. I hope you earthlings will remember never to connect two complete sentences with commas.

E.g.
Wrong - It was a fine Friday, I skipped happily to school.
Correct - It was a fine Friday. I skipped happily to school.

Remember how important punctuations are:
A panda eats shoots and leaves.
A panda eats, shoots and leaves.

A woman, without her man, is nothing.
A woman: Without her, man is nothing.

Please bear the rules of punctuations in mind whenever you write.

Other Matters
Please hand in the corrections for Practice Paper 7 tomorrow.

Homework:
1) Composition (Practice 4 Composition B) - due on Thursday

Rest well.

5 comments:

  1. I will never forget punctuations! XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet I screwed up my oral,btw,was I the one who forgot to greet you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. JQ: Haha.

    YL: Don't worry. You were not the one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mrs Gan, is the master yoda really you? The 1st time, I thought was Mrs Tay then the 2nd time i thought was some cartoon...In the end i realised i was wrong.>.<

    ReplyDelete