Monday, April 5, 2010

Conditional Tense

The following summarises the rules for conditional tenses:

CASE I
Clause 1: present
Clause 2: will (not) + infinitive
Example: If you try hard, you will succeed.

CASE II:
Clause 1: past
Clause 2: would (not) + infinitive
Example: If you misbehaved, you would be caned.

CASE III:
Clause 1: past perfect
Clause 2: would (not) have + past participle
Example: If you had been there, you would have seen the President.

You try:
1) If Ryan had come earlier, I ______________ (not need) to set up the projector on my own.

2) If it __________ (rain) tonight, we will not go to the Night Safari.

3 comments:

  1. Is this also called future tense?
    It uses "will" and "will not"...

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I will remember to bring my book tomorrow."
    The above sentence is in the future tense.

    When we include "if" in a sentence, we should use the rules for conditional tense.

    ReplyDelete