Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Composition Two

Composition Two:
You were at an MRT station when you heard someone calling your name.

Here are some wonderful ideas that you came up with:

Who could be calling your name
1) A school bully
2) A former classmate
3) A family member
4) A stranger
5) A friend

Plot development and conclusion
1) The school bully challenged you to commit a crime. Turn of event: Through the events that happened, you found out that the bully was not as intimidating as he showed himself to be. You helped him turn over a new leaf.
2) The former classmate looked different from before. As you chatted, you found out more about the experiences that changed his life.
3) A family member informed you of the passing of another family member.
4) A stranger tricked you into following him / her and eventually kidnapped you or tried to hurt you.

Model essay

Love in Action
Author: T. Suresh

A bolt of lightning tore across the sky and a peal of thunder came close upon each other. The wind was thrashing the tree tops as a curtain of rain beat down from the heavens. I took to my feet, which moved quickly, as if on fire. I clutched my bag tightly and dashed through the raindrops. "Aargh! This is the worst rain I've seen," I moaned, placing my bag in front of me once I reached the Jurong MRT Station.

I retied my shoelaces, straightened out my frizzy hair and wiped the water off my shirt. "Hey, Chester," a menacing voice caused me to freeze for a few seconds. I braced myself for the imminent fate as I slowly turned around. Terror gripped my whole being and perspiration started dripping from my forehead. It was Darren, the infamous school bully!

"Hey, you're going to do me a favour, or else you will be in hot soup!" threatened Darren. He pointed at a shop nearby. "Get me that phone!" his loud voice demanded. I could not do much but resort to crime as ordered. I walked towards the shop surreptitiously. Although my head shrieked to me to stop in my tracks, my body did not want punch markings on it. Panic continued to engulf me as I debated my next course of action. Finally, I regained control of my body. I was not going to do it.

I halted in my tracks. My feet slowly shifted towards the nearby stairs as I braved the fear I possessed- Darren.

"What are you trying to do?" Darren shouted at me.

I summoned all the strength I had and raced towards the stairs, my heart smashing the insides of my ribs. Behind me was Darren, hot on my heels. Suddenly, like a bolt out of the blue, Darren tripped and fell. "Aaaaahhhh! Help me up! Please help! Ouch!" whimpered Darren in a meek voice.

I turned around. The steps were stained with blood. Finally, my eyes lay upon the rolling body belonging to Darren. Suddenly, it dawned on me that Darren was not that tough. He just needed help to turn over a new leaf.

I rushed down the steps and dashed in lightning speed towards Darren. I called for an ambulance which arrived in a matter of seconds. I watched as the paramedics treated him. As the injuries sustained were minor, he was let off. I volunteered to send him home.

"Why are you helping me?" Darren asked, looking confounded.

I grinned at him. "Do unto others what you want others to do unto you," I said, before proceeding. Darren soon broke into sobs as he confessed that he did not have any friends. I assured him that I would be his friend. Darren dried his tears and formed a grin.

It was a U-turn in Darren's life. I was the main reason for that turning point. Now, Darren is one of my best friends. Whenever Darren feels demoralised, I cheer him up and he always comes to me for advice. I learnt that people can change. However, for that, they need love.

***Remember to use the SPCOC technique (found in your notes) whenever you write an essay.
***Please use the words / phrases from the vocabulary list that was given to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment